Sunday, February 13, 2005

Why Darker is Better

We don't have to avoid chocolate altogether on St. Valentine's Day.

My daily South Beach Diet Newsletter confirms that limiting the milk chocolate consumption and head straight to the dark. Why?

Darker is better and frankly, milk chocolate tends to contain quite a bit of sugar. Choosing the plain chocolate bars are often labeled with a percentage of cacao (50%, 70%, etc.) shows the higher the percentage, the more antioxidants it contains. One can find these at your local Wholefoods stores and other specialty spots.

Woo-hoo! We've just purchased a combination of sweet dark, milk chocolate hazelnut, and double chocolate for a special dessert I'm making for my honey tomorrow night. I won't reveal it until it's made, so hold tight and I'll disclose the recipe Tuesday.

No comments: